Fred Gillam (Fred the Forager) in the Media
Bryony Billson of Nature’s Larder TV interviews Fred Gillam
- Appearing with Gino D’Acampo in “For the Love of Britain” in 2021 presented by Julie Walters, and again with Gino in ITV Countrywise (S.8: ep.11) “Foraging for Porcini”.
- Presenting to a 2,500 strong Women’s Institute audience at Portsmouth Guildhall on what Otzi the Iceman taught us about European hunter-gatherers.
- Talking on Radio 4’s Farming Today about edible wildflowers during #30dayswild.
- A guest appearance with Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine talking about the dangers of poisonous plants.
- Fred has made numerous appearances for BBC and independent local radio stations in the UK and the US and delivered a series of public lectures to the Bath Royal Literary & Scientific Institution within the series entitled “Passions in Botany”. He was also the guest presenter at “A Celebration of Truffles & Mushrooms” at the Tate Britain.
If you would like Fred Gillam (at times known as ‘Fred the Forager’) to appear in your series, programme or event, please contact: Fred@thewildsideoflife.co.uk
Pages featuring the wild side of life…
BBC Countryfile Magazine’s Top 10 UK Foraging Courses. A review of some of the best courses in the country from the BBC Countryfile Magazine, including our acclaimed Secret Sunday Mushroom Club.
Some clips and articles: (Some links currently down, apologies, we are working on it).
Wiltshire Life Magazine. Fred The Forager aka Fred Gillam was interviewed by Claire Waring for a ‘My Wiltshire’ feature where he talks about his love of the land and his upbringing in the Pewsey Vale and Marlborough Downs of Wiltshire.
2016 – November 25th – ITV Countrywise, Series 8 – episode 11. Fred met with Chef Gino D’Acampo for a porcini hunt and al fresco dine-out in the Woodland Trust managed Wormley Woods National Nature Reserve, Hertfordshire!
Vegetarian Living Magazine, On the Toadstool Trail. Alice Whitehead listens as Fred the Forager looks back on more than 30 years of hunting for wild mushrooms.
Nature’s Larder TV showreel (interviewed by presenter Bryony Billson) created for the prospective new TV series on wild food by director Dominic Morgan of Nature’s Larder TV.
Fred televised by Simply Good Food TV on the Foodfair Live Stage at Chris Evan’s Carfest South in 2017, demonstrating a sauté of wild mushrooms to create great canapes and answering audience questions about foraging and the growing popularity of wild food.
The Bohemian Mojo Project (article here). Fred Gillam teamed up with Dr. Stephanie Shelburne, Alun Rees, Majken Smith and Dr. Michelle Lamasa-Schrader for their special project in the bronze-age landscape of Wiltshire and Oxfordshire.
Wiltshire Life Magazine, Foraging with The Secret Sunday Mushroom Club. in Wiltshire Life Magazine. Join journalist Liz Boden with Fred Gillam in her first-hand account of The Secret Sunday Mushroom Club.
Radio Sandy Springs Atlanta 252 – A one hour guest appearance on America’s Home Grown Veggie Show interviewed by master horticulturalist Kate Copsey. I appeared as Fred the Forager and spoke to the American public about foraging for wild foods and medicines, the impact of climate change, pollution, uncontrolled development and ethical foraging.